20 May 2017
March 21, 2016
Voting Members: L. Ritz, B. Koster, K. Bowers, C. Dunn, F. Hernandez, T. Szatko,
S. Andrews, R. Jensen, T. Santillo, C. Fish, M. Terzo, D. Miller
Ex-Officio: P. Schwartzman, A. Way, A. Sienkiewicz, T. Indiano, M. Cholach,
T. Czapranski. L Ruiz
Excused: S. DeRosa, S. Schalabba
A. CALL TO ORDER THE FIRE ADVISORY BOARD at 7:04 PM.
B. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
C. MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR FALLEN EMERGENCY SERVICES
D. DO WE HAVE A QUORUM - Yes
E. INTRODUCE ANY GUESTS/NEW MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE
F. APPROVAL OF FAB MINUTES – C. FISH
A motion to approve minutes from the January 25, 2016 as posted by L. Ritz, motion seconded by K. Bowers. Motion carried.
G. COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVED: C. FISH
H. FIRE ADVISORY BOARD REPORT – C. FISH
First order of business is the 2016 Election of the Chairman and Vice Chairman for the Fire Advisory Board. PeeWee Terzo informed the secretary to cast one ballot each for the following:
Chairman – Chris Fish
Vice Chairman – Chris Dunn
All were in favor with no oppositions.
I. EMS ADVISORY BOARD REPORT – T. CZAPRANSKI
Discussed 2016 goals
· Technical Advisory Group (programming regarding to volume control; solved with using Harris console)
· Channel 295 (enormous traffic)
· EMS Records Management (not supported by new CAD)
J. PUBLIC SAFETY DIRECTOR – D. MOORE
· Thank you to the Fire Advisory Board for their patience during the Pericle Study.
· Regarding the Pericle study, 13 fire districts failed the 95% average in building coverage before the 3 additional towers. 8 fire districts failed 95% average in building coverage with additional 3 towers.
· Pericle recommended 3 additional towers: Shoremont, Gates, and Livingston County (possible location at the landfill if Livingston county isn’t an option).
· Additional options being looked at are; moving existing towers, additional height to existing towers, and/or additional towers.
· The County Executive has stated that 8 failing districts is not acceptable. The county will concentrate on the infrastructure to reach the acceptable 95% average in building coverage. The county will not be purchasing any end user equipment. Agencies/districts/towns/villages will be responsible for the purchase of all end user equipment.
· Currently looking into time line, resuming the communications group meetings, and a possible webinar with Pericle.
· Director Moore requested that all media calls pertaining to the radio project be directed to County Communications PIO or himself.
Q. Ken Bowers asked what issues EMS was having?
A. Tim Czapranski explained the problems with the patch and that with a Harris console the problem has been solved.
Q. Tom Santillo asked if all money that was discussed in the past for radios was no longer available to agencies.
A. Director Moore responded that is correct, the county will not be purchasing end user equipment and will be concentrating on the infrastructure.
K. FIRE & EMS COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE – C. Fish
· Due to the fact that the Chairman must be a voting member, elections will be held again in April.
L. FIRE COORDINATORS REPORT – S. DeROSA
HazMat Report – S. SCHALABBA
· The Monroe County Hazardous Materials Response Team (MCHMRT) assisted with 6 Level 0’s and one suspicious powder investigation since our last meeting. None of these incidents were significant but did require notification to NYSDEC and they continue to provide timely support and resources as needed. The suspicious powder investigation was able to be successfully resolved using the First Defender RMX which is a handheld instrument that works to identify unknown solid and liquid chemicals and white powders.
· The Fire Bureau just completed two (2) classes focused on the management of a hazardous materials incident. The 24-hour NYS HazMat Incident Command Class and the 8-hour NYS HazMat Incident Safety Officer program were offered at the PSTF and included several HazMat Team members.
· The MCHMRT will be training in Level A Chemical Protective Clothing for our March drill exercise.
· Other training this month has included outreach training at the Pittsford and Penfield Fire Departments as well as with the current NYS Firefighter 1 class at the PSTF.
· We have a meeting scheduled with our regional HazMat Team partners on Tuesday March 22nd in Genesee County.
M. EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES – T. CZAPRANSKI
(See EMS Adv. Board report)
N. PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATIONS – R. VERDOUW
O. EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT – M. KESTER
P. OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT – F. RION
Q. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. MUTUAL AID PLAN – C. FISH
B. FIRE INVESTIGATOR –
C. PSTF TRAINING – J. FRANCE
M.C. FIRE BUREAU TRAINING - M. CHOLACH
· Fire Training Grounds are now open for the season
· 2 Firefighter I class’s in the spring
· 1 Firefighter I Boot Camp in summer
· 2 Firefighter I class’s in the fall
· We will only have one firefighter I graduation ceremony this year for the multiple graduating classes, Wednesday November 30th, location TBD.
D. ELECTION COMMITTEE – M. TERZO
(See first order of business)
R. FIRE DEPARTMENTS
A. ROCHESTER FD – J. SCHREIBER/T. SZATKO
TRAINING - F. HERNANDEZ
· RFD recruits started Fire portion of recruit class this week (FF1)
· Currently 13 City recruits, 3 County recruits
· Recruit graduation is Friday, July 22nd
· New Firefighter eligibility list established, backgrounds will start soon
· Starting Building Safety Inspector (BSI) In-service training
· Starting MSCO – Tools courses
· Trench rescue training scheduled for April
· Rope Rescue Tech 1 scheduled for July
B. AIRPORT FIRE DEPT. – T. BANE
C. 1ST BATTALION – T. INDIANO
D. 2ND BATTALION – R. JENSEN
· Responded to 5 working fires (Lake Shore, North Greece, Hilton, Ridge Road and Barnard).
· Monroe County Fire Service Speaker Series – Step Up and Lead with Frank Viscuso, Deputy Chief Kearny, NJ Fire Department, an Outstanding Leadership Program which you won’t be disappointed with.
v Saturday, April 2nd (8:30am –to- 2:30pm) – Monroe County College R. Thomas Flynn Campus Center – Monroe Room A&B
v FREE PROGRAM- Breakfast and Lunch will be provided
v Sponsored by Monroe County Fire Bureau, Monroe County Fire Chiefs, Monroe County Fire Districts, Monroe County Firemen’s and Monroe Community College.
· 10th Annual Rochester Area National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Golf Tournament: Sunday, June 5th and Monday, June 6th, 2016. Deerfield Country Club, Brockport, NY. We are always looking for sponsors, golfers and volunteers if you’re interested please feel free to contact me.
E. 3RD BATTALION – T. SANTILLO
· Responded to 4 working fires (Penfield house, Garage, 2 Ontario MA)
F. 4TH BATTALION – S. FLAGLER
· Responded to 4 working fires and 1 technical rescue
G. 5TH BATTALION – M. TERZO
· 2/2/16 house explosion 134 Buckley Place, Henrietta
· 2/15/16 working fire 42 Fairlea Dr. Honeoye Falls
S. M.C. FIRE CHIEF’S ASSOC. – B. KOSTER
· Annual Equipment Show will be August 10th at the Barnard Exempts
· August 10th will be the last day will receive award nominations for Firefighters Appreciation Dinner held on Thursday, October 13th at the Diplomat Party House. As of today have received just one (1) award nomination. At the banquet will be honoring the Penfield Fire District for 175 years of service.
· At either April (Fairport) or June (Clifton) will have a representative from Frontier Communications there to talk about the different types of communication’s cable and the problems that could be caused by them being damaged.
· June meeting will be a combined meeting with the Fireman’s Association. Chris Dunn and Brian Koster have set this date to get these two groups together in order to share information as a group and then to hold separate meetings of the organizations.
· On Saturday February 13th the Chili FD held a training session at Robert’s Wesleyan College. The topic was “Combat Ready” and was put on by the Traditions Training group. County Chiefs helped support this effort along with other sponsors. Firefighters from Bergen to Victor were in attendance. It was a very good class.
T. M.C. FIRE DISTRICT OFFICERS’ ASSOC. – K. BOWERS
· Regional Training April 16, 2016 in Batavia for regions 5 & 6.
U. M.C. VOL. FIREMAN’S ASSOC. & FASNY – L. RITZ
· Last year for FASNY Dues collections. Dues will now be the responsibility of the agencies.
· Putting together a golf tournament.
· Chris Dunn – Quarterly meeting/elections April 28, 2016.
· Chris Dunn – FASNY course May 24th in Rush.
· NYS holding a Gaming Course later in the year.
FASNY – A. WAY
· Department of Health reports by March 26th all nursing homes should have computerized record keeping. Fireman’s home is computerized.
· Dave Schultz in Fireman’s Home
· Busy with training (Cancer Bill)
· Recruit NY will have the Press Conference on April 19th, 2016 at Brockport FD 10:30 am. All are welcome.
V. M.C. LEGISLATOR – F. ANCELLO
W. ROCHESTER CITY COUNCIL – D. MILLER
· City Council working on prescription plans for on the job injuries for firefighters.
X. MONROE COUNTY SUPERVISOR’S ASSOC. – A. LaFOUNTAIN
Y. ASSOCIATION OF VILLAGES – B. CARTER
Z. FIRE MARSHAL’S ASSOC. – C. DUNN
· An Educational Seminar will be held on May 17 – 19, 2016 at West Webster Fire Department.
AA. BURN ASSOC. – P. SCHWARTZMAN
· Annual Gateway to Healing event April 30th
· Newsletter is out
· Young Adult Retreat will take place April 3-6, 2016 at Camp Dream outside Atlanta, GA.
· Partnered with East Rochester Chamber of Commerce to promote their Karknocker 5K – July 22, 2016
· Camp Courage will be held August 4-7, 2016.
· Annual Burn Walk October 2, 2016
· All information can be obtained from their website www.flrba.com
BB. ANY OTHER REPORTS
CC. OLD BUSINESS –
DD. NEW BUSINESS – C. FISH
· Discussed “Distress Call” Code. RFD and EMS currently using this. A. Sienkiewicz suggested to involve law enforcement (Law Enforcement Council).
· Dr. Jeremy Cushman is standardizing an EMS response to all working fires and multiple alarms. Possible implementation early April.
This Page Left Blank
In Memory Of
Henry (Hank) Wehner
Executive Fire Coordinator
EE. NEXT MEETING DATE – Monday, May 16, 2016 7:00 PM
Public Safety Training Facility
Room 117 A
FF. ANYTHING FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
Motion to adjourn the Fire Advisory Board Meeting at 8:05 by M. Terzo, seconded by D. Moore. Motion carried.